Saturday, March 12, 2011

March Musings

It's snowing outside. It has been wet, cold, white, grey for months now. I waged war with February and managed to come out alive. I've learned to swim this winter. There is something magical about being at the pool while the wind blows snow into the windows. March 20th is around the corner, which means spring will certainly come to us. Here, it is already full-blown winter when the solstice arrives and still under a blanket of snow when the vernal equinox announces the arrival of thaw. There is all together too much winter here.

While the snow melt has leaked into our basement, I've been wading through two inches of water, dusting off sculptures and heaving them up the stairs and onto my kitchen counter. I really need a studio.


Nonetheless, having these sculptures around feels like home. My hands in action, moving clay, raking over the surfaces with tiny tools, feels like home. The smell, home. The heaviness of the armature, clay, board, pipe, somehow home, too. And yet, in this place, I am not entirely sure how to do this. I am at last comfortable in my role as Asha's mom and think that it might be possible to be "sculptor mom." It isn't that. It's the network of mold-makers, welders, sculpture movers, marble carvers, models and a vibrant drawing group that I've lost. How do I do sculpture here, without all of them?

Something new must be born. A new way of working, a new scale, new materials. I have discovered there here in Grove City, there are many creative people- artists, musicians, craftsmen, dancers. But, until recently, it seems that they have been hiding. A wonderful artist, Stacey (Please, please, please look at her blog. You will fall in love with her paintings!) moved to town about the same time I did. In fact, she and I looked at the same houses when we were shopping for real estate. She has brought a fabulous art show to our local coffee shop and enlivened this city! The next show will be soon: March 25-26th! I'll be doing a sculpture demonstration on the 26th from 10am-4pm.
Creativity has been steaming under the surface in Grove City and is now bubbling out. I am in fervent prayer that this place will open itself to creativity. I, also, have my eyes on a studio downtown that I hope will be a sanctuary for other "artist moms." Keep posted for more news on that!

No comments: