Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Sneak Preview


It is not so often that folks get to peer into the artist's studio. I took a snapshot when I was working last week. I have several sculptures waiting to be photographed, so very few people have seen them yet. You'll also notice drawings up on the wall. Every Tuesday I gather with some other artists and we share the cost of a model. Tuesday Night Drawing has become sacred to us, drawn us together as friends as well as enhanced our abilities as artists.


Last week, Walter of the Yellow Barn, shared with us his color lecture. In honor of this event, I brought a box of chalk pastels for drawing! I have had them since I was a child, but color has always unnerved me. I started drawing the figure in orange and added the shadows with blue. Then I added some red and went hog wild with color!


Walter has also inspired me to start painting outdoors. While I was on a mini-vacation this past weekend, I packed teeny canvases and enjoyed the beach while painting the sailboats pulled up on shore. Right now, painting is just for fun, but hopefully Hempel Studios will not only feature sculpture!

No comments: